Copywriting Overview and Checklist
by Dozen Digital
Why should you care about Copywriting?
Attention spans online are limited, so copy must convey value quickly and effectively. Additionally, many written formats online (such as meta descriptions, email subject lines and ad copy) have character/word limits, which makes succinctness a must.
When is Copywriting right for you?
You should consider improving your copywriting if your current copy does not persuasively convey your product or service's value proposition.
When is Copywriting not right for you?
Focusing on copywriting may not be right for you if you already have highly compelling copy, and your resources would be better spent on other aspects such as product or design.
How does Copywriting fit into the big picture?
Copy can be found in many pieces of digital marketing, such as ad copy, website copy, emails, landing pages and more.
What are the most important high-level Copywriting concepts?
It is important to use concise and precise language, appeal to problems customers may be facing, discuss benefits instead of features, and appeal to the emotional side of your customers needs.
Where are the best resources online for Copywriting?
- Use open loops/questions
- Use power verbs
- Use the AIDA formula: Attention, Interest, Desire, and Action
- Use story-telling to paint a vivid picture
- Use active voice over passive voice
- Use straightforward, simple headlines over tricky or clever ones
- Use words like “will”, “can”, “do”, etc instead of words like “may”, “hope”, “could”
- Use the “Problem/Agitate/Solve” formula
- Include a strong call-to-action
- Focus on “you” instead of “we”
- Give readers a benefit and deliver in the body copy
- Address potential concerns/play devil's-advocate
- Don’t use adjectives and adverbs
- Allow your subconscious to make connections between ideas (less rationality in copy)
- If you get prospects to say “yes,” they’re more likely to say “yes” again
- Back up your benefits and other claims with proof
- Use the phrase “On Your Phone” on mobile ads
- Mention the important point at least 3 times in longer copy
Need help with Copywriting?